Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Scranton Showcases Progressive Bias

I originally planned for this to be a letter to the editor to my local papers following my Catholic Jesuit University inviting a woman who had devoted her life to the pro-choice movement to hold a seminar on our campus. While the seminar was to get more women involved in politics (an idea anyone would support) the leader of this forum used to run a PAC devoted to running pro-choice women for Congress. I encourage you to look up her record. This move showed the University's commitment to progressivism. A microcosm of what conservative youth faces in the American education system. Especially in higher education.

The University of Scranton has caused a great uproar after refusing Bishop Joseph Bambera’s request to separate themselves from former Congresswoman Marjorie Margolies who operated a Political Action Committee dedicated to running pro-choice women for Congress. Scranton has allowed her to host a forum on getting women to run for office.

Normally when a University engages in academic freedom and has a discussion about normally taboo subjects I would be thrilled. it gets youth involved in politics when you discuss hot-button issues such as abortion. Unfortunately, I am far too close to this university to be enthralled with it’s decision to invite Congresswoman Cto our campus.

You see for the past three semesters I have been blessed to be the University of Scranton College Republicans President. For the previous year and a half I have been fighting not just to spread the word of limited government, but to get young people more involved in politics regardless of political ideology. During my stint at this institution I can tell you the bias against conservatism in higher education is real and showcased by the school’s current actions.

During my tenure as College Republican President I have had several events cancelled or have been unable to host events because the school was afraid they would be seen as favoring a particular ideology. I had to fight tooth and nail and refuse to take no as answer when we wanted to host then Hazleton Mayor Lou Barletta in 2010. Congressman Barletta received a 100% from the Right to Life Committee for his freshman term. The University last year informed me my request to participate in a video conference with Minnesota Congresswoman Michele Bachmann as a “Get Out the Vote” rally had been denied because of timing issues. The list goes on.

Today it appears as though the University no longer cares about being seen as an institution that favors a certain ideology. I could have dealt with the previous grievances as just typical of higher education toward the conservative ideology. This is so blatant I felt I needed to showcase the long standing bias I have experienced at this University so people can recognize the history.

The University of Scranton is trying to hide from Congresswoman Margolies past by billing this as a teaching event devoid of partisan politics. I for one will not fall for it. With her past affiliations and record neither should you. If Wayne LaPierre, the head of the NRA was holding a forum on gun rights would we believe his bias would be evident? If Ambassador John Bolton was holding a forum on diplomacy would we believe his past positions would not affect the forum?

After a year and a half struggle of me doing everything I can to promote right-wing candidates and being forced to cancel events, hold events in secret, and being denied opportunities I can say I am not shocked at our school's decision to promote leftist ideals that contradict established Church teachings and opinions.

This is just a microcosm of the factors afflicting young conservative students in higher education. If the accepted teachings of the Catholic Church on abortion and the pro-life movement are under attack at a Catholic institution where is it safe in academics to be a conservative?

No comments:

Post a Comment